Essential Resources To Run Your Business
Running your health coaching business is a labour of love – but without the right online tools in place, it can feel more like flat-out labour. That’s why we’ve put together a selection of health coach resources: the books & online tools we use & which can have a real impact on your business.
Literary inspiration for your business:
- Overwhelmed: How to Work, Love & Play When No One Has the Time – Brigid Schulte
- Influence – Robert Cialdini
- Purple Cow – Seth Godin
- Made To Stick: Chip & Dan Heath
- Ask – Ryan Levesque
- Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind – Al Ries & Jack Trout
- Meaningful: The Story of Ideas That Fly
- To Sell Is Human – Daniel H. Pink
- The Big Leap: Conquer Your Fear & Take Life To The Next Level – Gay Hendricks
- Choose Yourself – James Altucher
- One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way – Robert Maurer
Essential health coach resources to run your business:
- Website: Rainmaker Platform – Rainmaker is the complete website creation platform. Featuring dozens of templates, email marketing, podcast, SEO and social media tools, it’s Healthpreneur’s tool of choice
- Email Marketing: Mailchimp – Simple, beautiful, customisable email marketing software. Free up to 2000 subscribers.
- Appointment scheduling: Calendly – Allows your clients to make bookings & appointments in a few simple clicks.
- Website optimisation: SumoMe – A full set of website tools to help you get email subscribers, promote your content and discover what is & isn’t working on your website.
- Video conferencing: Zoom.usLike a highly-caffeinated version of Skype, Zoom is the perfect platform for video or audio calls with clients. Allows you to record calls for your reference or to share with your clients
- Email productivity: Mixmax – Best.thing.ever. An email tool we can’t live without. Schedule, track, customise and enhance emails in Gmail in ways you can’t imagine.
- Time tracking: Toggl – Free time tracking app that integrates with just about every tool on the web
- Client & info management: Evernote – The hub for Healthpreneur’s operations, Evernote is the note taking, document storage and productivity app
- Research & collaboration: NinjaOutreach -The best tool we’ve found for researching and communicating with guest bloggers and partners
- Project management: Trello – Free project management tool for visual types
- Client Management: Hubspot CRM – Free Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software from Hubspot. It might be free but they’ve left nothing out.
Our recommended health coach resources by category:
- Rainmaker: With its advanced features and higher price tag, we recommend Rainmaker for Healthpreneurs committed to content creation
- Squarespace: If your website requirements are simpler or if you require ecommerce functionality (not yet available on Rainmaker), we recommend Squarespace for its simplicity, affordability and outstanding customer service.
- For an example of what can be done on Squarespace, visit Linda Albinsson Personalised Nutrition & Dress Up In You
- WordPress.org: For fuller customisation options, WordPress.org (not WordPress.com) is a your best option (the Rainmaker Platform is Wordpress-based).
We don’t recommend going for a self-hosted WordPress site unless you’re fairly tech-savvy.
While The Rainmaker Platform offers a growing set of over 40 themes to choose from, we recommend StudioPress for self-hosted WordPress sites.
StudioPress themes are:
- Beautifully designed & fully customisable
- Totally secure
- Mobile-responsive (work perfectly on any device)
Just as you need a home to call your own, your website needs a hosting platform to settle down on.
If you opt for an annual business plan from Squarespace, hosting is included. If not, we recommend:
- Bluehost: we use Bluehost because of its ease of use and outstanding customer support
- GoDaddy.com: Affordable hosting with great customer support
Website conversion tools
Healthpreneur uses SumoMe – a full range of website tools including:
- Social sharing buttons
- Email list popups & scrollboxes
- Analytics and reports
- Heat maps & content analytics
SumoMe offers both a free ‘basic’ plan and various levels of premium subscription.
When you want to encourage website visitors to take a single, specific action (subscribe, join your program, find out more), the most important online tool is a landing page. Rainmaker offers a range of
landing page templates and a custom landing page builder.
Other options include:
- ONTRApages: free landing page builder from Ontraport
- Ucraft: beautiful templates. 1 page free or £6.20 a month paid plan
- LeadPages: huge range of landing page templates but a fairly hefty £28 a month
Recommended options include:
- Mailchimp: Simple, beautiful, customisable and free up to 2000 subscribers. Mailchimp is the perfect email marketing solution for Healthpreneurs. Payment required for automation
- AWeber: At £15 a month AWeber is more expensive than Mailchimp but starts to pay for itself once you start automating your emails
Even the most well-designed website is rendered ineffective if your ideal client can’t find you online. We use
, an amazing tool that walks you through each and every stage of optimising your site to ensure you show up in search results.
We also recommend giving your site a once-over with
, which will help identify any underlying problems.
Social media automation
Our favourite social media scheduling tool, Hootsuite allows you to connect all of your social media accounts, keep track of them in one place & schedule social media posts ahead of time.
Other (equally excellent) options include:
For a full breakdown of the pros & cons of each tool, read our post on social media automation
Streamlining your business using online tools
Healthpreneur uses a few essential tools to streamline & stay on top of our daily activities (and James is an app freak).
- The ultimate Evernote guide from The Systems Chick, Natasha Voriompova. Evernote for Small Business is a complete guide to using Evernote to smoothly and effortlessly run every aspect of your business, from client management to social media
- Mixmax: The email tool we can’t live without. Schedule, track, customise and enhance emails in Gmail in ways you can’t imagine
- Toggl: Free time tracking app that integrates with just about every tool on the web
- Todoist: James’ personal task management tool of choice – perfect functionality and works on all devices
- Evernote: The hub for Healthpreneur’s operations, Evernote is the note taking, document storage and productivity app.
- Trello: Free project management tool for visual types who like having a full overview of everything that needs to get done.
- Hubspot CRM: Free Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool from Hubspot – all the features you’d expect from an expensive CRM, but free.
- NinjaOutreach: The best tool we’ve found for researching and communicating with guest bloggers and partners.
- Canva: A graphic design tool we can all master. Create beautiful imagery for social media, blogs, brochures and everything in between.
- PicMonkey: Full-featured free tool for editing images.
- WebinarNinja: The simplest & most effective webinar software we’ve found. No need for attendees to download anything in order to join your webinars.
- Skype & Google Hangouts: Perfect solutions for client calls & keeping in touch with clients and partners.
Any health coach resources or tools you’d like us to include in the list?
Click here to let us know.