Essential Resources To Run Your Business
Running your health coaching business is a labour of love – but without the right online tools in place, it can feel more like flat-out labour. That’s why we’ve put together a selection of health coach resources: the books & online tools we use & which can have a real impact on your business.
Literary inspiration for your business:
- Overwhelmed: How to Work, Love & Play When No One Has the Time – Brigid Schulte
- Influence – Robert Cialdini
- Purple Cow – Seth Godin
- Made To Stick: Chip & Dan Heath
- Ask – Ryan Levesque
- Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind – Al Ries & Jack Trout
- Meaningful: The Story of Ideas That Fly
- To Sell Is Human – Daniel H. Pink
Essential health coach resources to run your business:
- Website: Rainmaker Platform – Rainmaker is the complete website creation platform. Featuring dozens of templates, email marketing, podcast, SEO and social media tools, it’s Healthpreneur’s tool of choice
- Email Marketing: Mailchimp – Simple, beautiful, customisable email marketing software. Free up to 2000 subscribers.
- Appointment scheduling: Calendly – Allows your clients to make bookings & appointments in a few simple clicks.
- Website optimisation: SumoMe – A full set of website tools to help you get email subscribers, promote your content and discover what is & isn’t working on your website.
- Video conferencing: Zoom.usLike a highly-caffeinated version of Skype, Zoom is the perfect platform for video or audio calls with clients. Allows you to record calls for your reference or to share with your clients
- Email productivity: Mixmax – Best.thing.ever. An email tool we can’t live without. Schedule, track, customise and enhance emails in Gmail in ways you can’t imagine.
- Time tracking: Toggl – Free time tracking app that integrates with just about every tool on the web
- Client & info management: Evernote – The hub for Healthpreneur’s operations, Evernote is the note taking, document storage and productivity app
- Research & collaboration: NinjaOutreach -The best tool we’ve found for researching and communicating with guest bloggers and partners
- Project management: Trello – Free project management tool for visual types
- Client Management: Hubspot CRM – Free Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software from Hubspot. It might be free but they’ve left nothing out.
Our recommended health coach resources by category:
- Squarespace: We recommend (and love) Squarespace for its simplicity, affordability and outstanding customer service.
- For an example of what can be done on Squarespace, visit Linda Albinsson Personalised Nutrition & Fresh Lifestyle
- WordPress.org: For fuller customisation options, WordPress.org (not WordPress.com) is a your best option
We don’t recommend going for a self-hosted WordPress site unless you’re fairly tech-savvy.
If you do choose to go for a self-hosted WordPress site, StudioPress offers a beautiful and easy to use selection.
StudioPress themes are:
- Beautifully designed & fully customisable
- Totally secure
- Mobile-responsive (work perfectly on any device)
Just as you need a home to call your own, your website needs a hosting platform to settle down on.
If you opt for an annual business plan from Squarespace, hosting is included. If not, we recommend:
- Bluehost: we use Bluehost because of its ease of use and outstanding customer support
- GoDaddy.com: Affordable hosting with great customer support
Website conversion tools
Healthpreneur uses Sumo – a full range of website tools including:
- Social sharing buttons
- Email list popups & scrollboxes
- Analytics and reports
- Heat maps & content analytics
Sumo offers both a free ‘basic’ plan and various levels of premium subscription.
We also use the fantastic set of analytics tools offered by Hotjar, which includes heatmaps, on-site surveys and user recordings so you can really get to grips with what your website visitors are doing and how you can improve your site experience.
When you want to encourage website visitors to take a single, specific action (subscribe, join your program, find out more), the most important online tool is a landing page. Squarespace offers a wide variety of inbuilt landing pages, however, the functionality can be somewhat limited.
For more comprehensive design and configuration options we recommend:
- ONTRApages: free landing page builder from Ontraport
- Ucraft: beautiful templates. 1 page free or £6.20 a month paid plan
- LeadPages: huge range of landing page templates but a fairly hefty £28 a month
Healthpreneur uses MailChimp for its simplicity, comprehensive features, free automations and new Facebook Advertising tools.
Recommended options include:
- Mailchimp: Simple, beautiful, customisable and free up to 2000 subscribers. Mailchimp is the perfect email marketing solution for Healthpreneurs. Payment required for automation
- AWeber: At £15 a month AWeber is more expensive than Mailchimp but starts to pay for itself once you start automating your emails
- ConvertKit: With plans starting from £22 a month, ConvertKit doesn't offer a free tier and may not be the best option for you if you have a small list or are just getting started. Where ConvertKit shines though is in its ease of use and customisation options, helping the right subscribers receive the right emails at the right time.
Even the most well-designed website is rendered ineffective if your ideal client can’t find you online. We use a fantastic blog optimisation tool called webtexttool to optimise individual pages and blog posts.
For more in-depth keyword research and SEO strategy, we use SERanking , an amazing tool that walks you through each and every stage of optimising your site to ensure you show up in search results.
We also recommend giving your site a once-over with either Raven Tools or SEO Site Checkup, both of which will help identify any underlying problems and give you a clear set of steps to follow to improve your website's performance in search.
Social media automation
Our favourite social media scheduling tool, Hootsuite allows you to connect all of your social media accounts, keep track of them in one place & schedule social media posts ahead of time.
Other (equally excellent) options include:
For a full breakdown of the pros & cons of each tool, read our post on social media automation
Streamlining your business using online tools
Healthpreneur uses a few essential tools to streamline & stay on top of our daily activities (and James is an app freak).
- The ultimate Evernote guide, Evernote for Small Business is a complete guide to using Evernote to smoothly and effortlessly run every aspect of your business, from client management to social media
- Mixmax: The email tool we can’t live without. Schedule, track, customise and enhance emails in Gmail in ways you can’t imagine
- Toggl: Free time tracking app that integrates with just about every tool on the web
- Todoist: James’ personal task management tool of choice – perfect functionality and works on all devices
- Evernote: The hub for Healthpreneur’s operations, Evernote is the note taking, document storage and productivity app.
- Trello: Free project management tool for visual types who like having a full overview of everything that needs to get done.
- Hubspot CRM: Free Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool from Hubspot – all the features you’d expect from an expensive CRM, but free.
- NinjaOutreach: The best tool we’ve found for researching and communicating with guest bloggers and partners.
- Canva: A graphic design tool we can all master. Create beautiful imagery for social media, blogs, brochures and everything in between.
- PicMonkey: Full-featured free tool for editing images.
- WebinarNinja: The simplest & most effective webinar software we’ve found. No need for attendees to download anything in order to join your webinars.
- Skype & Google Hangouts: Perfect solutions for client calls & keeping in touch with clients and partners.
Any health coach resources or tools you’d like us to include in the list?
Click here to let us know.