How To Create an eBook: Part 3
Once you create an ebook, you have a number of choices when it comes to publishing it and getting it in front of your ideal readers.
The most popular self-publishing platforms are:
While the platforms all have their own pros and cons, we recommend starting out on Amazon because of the sheer size of the audience. This vastly increases the chances of your ideal readers finding your ebook.
of your ebook on Amazon can also have a major effect on how many copies you sell because reviews affect:
- How easy it is for your potential readers to find your ebook*
- How likely your potential readers are to buy your ebook when they find it
*Amazon filters and promotes its products based on the Average Customer Review so the more positive your reviews are, the more likely you are to reach your ideal reader.
Get help or go it alone
Thus far in your journey to create an ebook of your own, you’ve been flying solo. Now that you’re in the publishing stage you have two options.
- Work through an independent distribution channel or ’3rd-party aggregator’ such as Lightning Source, Smashwords, Draft2Digital, Book Baby or Lulu who will take care of the publishing process for you
- Go direct to the publishing source. This will mean a bit more work for you but it’ll ensure that all the royalties from book sales go directly to you
From there getting your ebook published is a relatively straightforward process of submitting the files to the individual platforms based on their specific requirements.
In Amazon’s case this is a simple 3-step process in which you:
Step 1: Prep
Save your final manuscript in one of the following formats:
- Word (DOC / DOCX)
- HTML (ZIP, HTM, or HTML)
- Rich Text Format (RTF)
- Plain Text (TXT)
- Adobe PDF (PDF)
Step 2: Swallow the fear and hit ‘Publish’
Sign in to Kindle direct publishing (
) with your Amazon account or email address, upload your files and hit publish.
Step 3: Get the word out
Amazon offers a range of free promotion & merchandising tools to help you promote your ebook and get it in front of the people most in need of your help.
An undertaking with unexpected benefits
It can take a long time to create an ebook but the results can be profound for your business. At the bare minimum you will have
cemented your knowledge
of your topic and
created a valuable resource
help your potential clients
begin their own journey to health.
Beyond that, creating and publishing an ebook has the potential to:
- Establish you as an authority in your field
- Massively increase your ideal client’s awareness about you & your business
- Create an alternative revenue stream that, in time, can become your primary source of income
Want to find out more about creating and publishing your own ebook?
Let us know in the comments section below so we can bring you everything you need to help you get started and get published.